Skip to main content

Year 11

Social Small

This is a very important year for your young person. Decisions, building on the research started in Year 10, will need to be made. Your young person will now need to think about the type of course they want to do and how that links to their future career path.

The school may have a choice of prospectuses or brochures which list course information and open evenings for colleges and 6th Forms to help with this.

If the young person has a learning difficulty and/or disability and will be leaving school to enter college or a work based learning programme, the school’s careers advisor will complete a My Future, which records the young person’s goals for after 16 options. Your young person will need to consider giving permission to share some information with certain colleges or 6th Forms. If they decide not to give permission then the college or 6th form may not be in able to understand their needs and offer the right level of support.

The Annual Review for Year 11 will need to be held in the Autumn term before the young person leaves compulsory education. From the age of 16 your young person can start to make the decisions about their future as they become the main decision maker for themselves. Now is the time for your young person to give information about the difficulties they experience, which they may need help to overcome. Using the information in the young person’s Education, Health and Care Plans from Year 9 and Year 10, will help the young person move towards their goals.

The diagram below may also be used as a prompt for those involved so they can understand their role in the young person’s transition.

Finding out more

Please click on the circles at the top of this webpage for more information relevant at Yr 9Yr 10Yr 11Age 16-18, or Further information.

You can also look at sevices within:

Mental Capacity Act

The Mental Capacity Act 2005 provides a legal framework for acting and making decisions on behalf of individuals who lack the mental capacity to make particular decisions for themselves. Everyone caring for, or working with, an adult who may lack capacity to make specific decisions must comply with the Act when making decisions or acting for that person, when the person lacks the capacity to make a particular decision for themselves. The same rules apply whether the decisions are life changing or everyday matters.

The Act’s starting point is to confirm in legislation that it should be assumed that an adult (aged 16 or over) has full legal  capacity to make decisions for themselves (the right to autonomy) unless it can be proven that they lack capacity to make a specific decision at the time the decision needs to be made. This is known as the presumption of capacity.

The Act also states that people must be given all appropriate help and support to enable them to make their own decisions or to maximise their participation in any decision making process.

The underlying philosophy of the Act is to ensure that any decision made or action taken on behalf of someone who lacks capacity to make the decision or act for themselves is made in their best interest. It is intended to assist and support people who may lack capacity and to discourage anyone who is involved in caring for someone who lacks capacity from being overly restrictive or controlling.

The Act also aims to balance an individual’s right to make decisions themselves with their right to be protected from harm if they lack capacity to make decisions to protect themselves. It sets out a legal framework of how to act and make decisions on behalf of people who lack capacity covering such areas as  personal welfare, healthcare and financial matters.

You can find out more about the Mental Capacity Act 2005 via the following links:

MCA directory:

Or alternatively you can speak to the Social Worker allocated to support you.


Children and young people with special educational needs may get help with transport to school or college. Once a young person reaches 16 they may be asked to pay towards some of the cost of the transport. For further information please contact the Transport Team on 01803 207688 or email Independent Travel training may be available from some colleges and 6th Forms.

Work Based Employment

If your young person wants to go into work based learning/employment at the end of Year 11 or after, they should discuss this further with their careers advisor. For more information about work based learning please contact your school’s careers advisor or CSW Group (Local). The Department of Work and Pensions can also be contacted to discuss access to some forms of work based training via the benefits system.

Read our advice and guidance page on Post 16 Educational Opportunities to learn more about possible work based training opportunities.

Further support can also be offered by:

You may also like to consider:

Transition and Family Finance

As young people with special educational needs and/or a disability turn 16, 17, 18 or 19 they become entitled to benefits and support in their own right. What they are entitled to may or may not depend on whether they are still in education, are job seeking or claiming benefits. Parents’ and carers’ benefits and tax credits can depend not only on the student or employment status of their young person with a disability and their other children, but also on what their children with a disability are claiming. Benefits and tax credits are complex. You may wish to take specialist advice about your own situation. You will also need to take further advice if the young person with a disability in the family is a parent themselves. Please search the Local Offer by keyword ‘benefit’ to list organisations that can help you.

Moving Into Adulthood

Contact will be made by the appropriate Health and Adult Services team at the age of 16 for young people with complex medical needs and at age 17 for others. Please refer to Preparing for Adulthood Age 16-18 for information about Children’s and the Adult Services.

Subject to assessment, Health and Adult Services may work with anybody with a learning disability, sensory impairment and/or physical disability.

Prior to the young person being allocated an Adult Social Care Worker, a transition coordinator will begin to work with the young person and their family to help them plan for the future.

Housing and Accommodation

It is useful to think about future living arrangements at the review meeting. For further information please contact the Housing Options Service on 01803 208723, email or visit the Housing Option record in the Local Offer.

You may also find Choosing where to live as an adult with SEND | Torbay FIS Directory ( helpful.

Year 11 - Preparing for Adulthood Pathway Guide

Year 11 Annual Review Guide