Hand In Hand Volunteering Service
The Hand in Hand Volunteer/Mentoring Team is now registered as a community Interest Company - Number 7487606. This service is still working in partnership with Torbay’s Council Children's services. The volunteers help to make a massive difference to families and young people throughout the Bay by providing vital support, usually within the family's own home, or out in the community.
Volunteers are required to work with families who sometimes need an extra pair of hands to help make life a little easier and children and young people who need companionship or encouragement. The volunteers reassure families that difficulties in bringing up children are not unusual and concentrate on developing the positive aspects of family life.
Volunteers assist in many different ways:
- They support parents who are isolated in the community by introducing them to local resources.
- Befriending / listening to parents who are struggling with their children’s behaviour.
- Being an advocate for young people assisting with school related issues such as exclusion and attendance.
- Working with parents and children living in poverty or with disabilities or mental health issues.
- Acting as a mentor to young people helping them to dealing with issues such as bullying, behaviour or underachieving.
- Helping to support children who are in the care of Torbay Council.
- Working within primary schools across Torbay.
There are no age barriers to volunteering and it isn't essential for people to be working with children exclusively, there are many opportunities for people to offer practical assistance for a variety of activities such as decorating, gardening or computing. No previous experience is needed, just enthusiasm and a passion to help others.
Who to contact
Where to go
- TQ2 7QR