Skip to main content

Kristina Westacott (Torquay). Covid 19: Open

Kris Westacott's Childminding

Aims to provide all day fun, security and stimulation for children of all ages. Regularly attends toddler groups, music groups, gymnastics, messy play groups and much more. Regular trips to the Zoo, nature walks, beach and more. Takes children swimming and is a qualified swimming instructor. Plenty of craft activities and cooking. Childminding since 1998.

Qualifications and Training: BTEC Nursery Nursing, Paediatric First Aid, Advanced Child Protection, Makaton, Language Development Level 1 & 2, Forest Fun, EYFS in Practice, Schematic Learning.

Who to contact


Where to go


Number 32 bus route

Childcare Information


Immediate vacancies

Funded Places

2 year old funding

Opening Times & Facilities

Opening Times
Opening Times
DayOpening TimeClosing Time
Monday 08.00 17.00
Tuesday 08.00 17.00
Wednesday 08.00 17.00
Thursday 08.00 17.00

School Pickups

Offers pickups
Sherwell Valley Primary School
Drop off and pick up from Sherwell Valley Primary School.

Ofsted Information

Ofsted URN
Link to latest ofsted inspection report 
Inspection history
Inspection History
Inspection DateInspection typeInspection Outcome
21/11/2011Inspection (Early Years Register)Outstanding
17/05/2016Inspection (Early Years Register)Outstanding
26/07/2022Inspection (Early Years Register)Outstanding

Local Offer

Local Offer Age Bands
Primary (4-10 years)
Secondary (11-16 years)
Early Years (0-4 years)

SEN Information

A printable version of this form is available in the downloads section.

What special education provision is available at our setting?

  • I have attended Senco training, speech and language training, and safe guarding. I have also attended a Makaton course, and obviously keep my Paediatric First Aid and Child Protection up to date.
  • I am able to access a range of agencies and support services if needed and will talk to parents and carers to see what support is needed in their particular case.
  • During my BTEC childcare I spent a term helping at the John Parkes Unit working with children with varying Special Educational needs.

What criteria must be satisfied before children and young people can access this provision/service?

  • I am an inclusive provider and will consider children age 0 – 12 years whose parents/carers wish to access this provision.
  • I will access training and /or resources to make every reasonable effort to enable the child to access my provision.
  • I will follow guidance as laid out in the equalities Act 2010.
  • All children are welcome at my setting, and I will make every effort to provide for all individual needs.
  • Unfortunately I do not have any wheel chair access.

How do we identify the particular special educational needs of a child or young person?

  • I will follow the guidance as set out in the SEND Code of Practice 2001 (to be revisted in 2014)
  • I will gather information before the child starts from parents/carers, other settings and any professionals who may be involved with the child.
  • Once a child starts at my setting they will be continually assessed/observed. If any concerns are identified I will, with consent, initiate appropriate interventions and approach other specialists and agencies for support to establish how best I can support the child.

How do we consult with parents and/or children and young people about their needs?

  • Parents/families are always invited to visit me and my setting
  • I always offer a transition process to settle in the child and put the family at ease. This period is individually tailored to suit individuals and their families needs.
  • Before starting at my setting parents/carers are asked to fill out a ‘About Me’ form
  • Prior to starting, I discuss with the parents the childs daily routines, likes and dislikes, and individual needs. I also encourage all this to be written down, so that I am able to provide the best and most suitable care for the child.
  • If the child is already being supported by other professionals I will arrange a meeting to ensure good continuity of care.
  • I will share information with parents/carers on a daily basis through conversations and daily diaries.
  • Each child has a learning diary, and parents/carers are encouraged to share these and comment on them.
  • I regularly talk to the parents/carers to ensure they are happy that I am meeting the child’s needs, and regularly share information of their likes/dislikes etc.
  • I talk to the children to ensure they are happy in the setting, and make sure that I listen to any worries or anxieties that they may have.

What is our approach to teaching children and young people with special educational needs?

  • I have an Equal Opportunities/Inclusion policy
  • I treat all children equally and make sure that they are all made to feel unique, valued and special.
  • I recognise and value the role of all involved, parents/carers. However, where special educational needs are identified I will ensure that I provide appropriate resources to meet those needs.
  • I am happy to work with other professionals and follow their advice in creating an Individual Learning & Development Plan (ILDP) for children with any additional needs. This would identify specific activities and learning/development objectives. The IDLP is developed with input from everyone involved with the child such as Parents/Carers, SENCO, Specialist and Support Agencies and Early Years Advisors.

How can we adapt our curriculum for children and young people with special educational needs?

  • I ensure that all activities and experiences I provide are inclusive of children of all ages and stages.
  • Whenever appropriate I will follow the child’s ILDP which will differentiate and adapt the EYFS curriculum for a child with special needs.
  • I will resource extra equipment if necessary.

How will we ensure we get the services, provision and equipment that children and young people need?

  • I can call on the support of the Torbay Early Years Advisory Teacher and other professionals throughout Torbay for expert guidance and specialist equipment.
  • There may be times when I may not always have the resources and facilities to meet the specific needs of an individual child. However, even after making every effort to do this, there may be occasions when it is not possible and I cannot meet the child’s needs.

How is this provision funded?

  • As an Ofsted Registered Childminder I am self-employed, running my own childcare business.
  • I am registered to provide the National Education Grant (NEG) Funding for 2-5 year olds which is paid via the Local Authority, which entitles parents to 15 funded hours of childcare per week.
  • If it is identified that extra additional support is required beyond what I can provide as part of my normal ratios, I can apply to the Local Authority for additional funding, for example if the child needs 1:1 support.

What additional learning support is available for children and young people with special educational needs and how do they access it?

If additional support is needed I would look for support from other professionals such as:

  • Speech and Language Specialists,
  • Health Visitors and Social Workers,
  • Action for Children,
  • Support Groups for Families,
  • Early Years Advisory Support,
  • Portage.

How do we support and improve the emotional and social development of children and young people with special educational needs?

  • As an inclusive practitioner I believe that:
    • Every child needs to feel that they belong, that they matter, and that they are valued for their unique qualities.
    • Working in partnership with parents is important and parental contributions are welcomed and valued.
    • verbally, to encourage an inclusive setting.
  • I encourage communication through Makaton as well as verbally, to encourage an inclusive setting.
  • I have a positive approach to Behaviour Management.

How do we support children and young people with special educational needs moving between phases of education and preparing for adulthood?

  • Each child’s development and progress is documented in their Learning Diaries.
  • I will complete a transition document to pass a new setting. This will detail the child’s developmental level and skills.
  • I will work in partnership to promote a smooth transition by providing details on IDLP’s and links to other agencies.
  • I will facilitate visits to the new school/setting supported by familiar staff.
  • I will liaise with the SENCO’s from the school/setting to promote a consistent approach.
  • I am always welcoming to new key workers/ teachers to visit the child in my setting.

What other support is available for children and young people with special educational needs and how can they access it?

I will signpost, encourage and support parents/carers to engage with other support by providing leaflets, promoting events and services and recommending Torbay Directory for ideas on available support and services.

What extra-curricular activities are available for children and young people with special educational needs?

  • I will try to offer additional hours if needed.
  • I offer a wide variety of activities and experiences trips to zoo, farms, outings to parks, educational centres, music sessions at library.....
  • I attend childminders groups to interact with other professionals.

How do we assess and review progress towards agreed outcomes, and how are parents, children and young people involved in this process?

  • I assess and review developmental progress by sharing learning/daily diaries with parents/carers on a regular basis.
  • If a child has an IDLP which identifies specific activities and learning/ development objectives I would review them on a regular basis and involve Parents/Carers, Specialist and Support Agencies and Early Years Advisors in this process.

How do we assess the effectiveness of our special needs provision and how are parents, children and young people involved in this assessment?

  • I reflect upon the quality of my practice by using the Ofsted self- evaluation document.
  • I keep up to date with changes, research and new developments by continually updating my training and knowledge by attending EY Forums
  • I regularly meet with other childminders to share good practice.
  • I chat with parents/carers daily to gather feedback, and adapt and improve what I offer accordingly.

How do we ensure that teaching staff and other staff have the expertise needed to support children and young people with special educational needs?

  • I have an up to date Paediatric First Aid certificate
  • I have attended a Makaton Course
  • I have SENCO training available to access

How do we keep parents informed where children and young people have special educational provision but do not have an Education Health and Care Plan?

I keep parents informed through daily diaries, learning diaries, My Learning & Development documents and daily conversations.

How can parents, children and young people make a complaint about our provision?

  • I display an Ofsted poster with Ofsted’s phone number on it.
  • I have a Complaints Policy and Procedure which parents will have access to.
  • I encourage parents to discuss any concerns with me and seek to resolve any issues before they get to the stage of a complaint.
  • I have a Comments/Complaints book available at all times.

How can parents, children and young people get more information about the setting?

  • Parents/families are always welcomed into my setting for visits
  • I can be contacted directly via telephone or email.
  • Through the Family Information Service website.
  • Through the OFSTED website- inspection reports.
  • Word of mouth