Skip to main content

Barrett Naomi & Leanne (Paignton)

Ofsted registered childminder with 20 years experience, and daughter Leanne as an Assistant, who has passed her level 3 in childcare.  Safe, enclosed garden, good size playroom, outings to the zoo, belong to Forest school association with level 1 in forest school, Occombe Farm and Dinosaur World.  Activities include painting, cooking, trips to the beach and playgrounds.  Childminder creates a photo diary of the activities the children do for parents.  Based in the Windmill/Dolphin area of Paignton. I have adopted a red panda at paignton zoo for children to learn and visit.
Qualifications and training:

NVQ Level 4 in Childcare, First Aid, Advanced Child Protection, Health & Safety, Working with children with Special Educational Needs training, Makaton sign language, language development level 1 and 2, Positive behaviour, understanding and valuing diversity, EYFS framework, E.C.A.T. Early years, Thrive Training, Level 2 Food Safety.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Naomi Barrett/ Leanne Barrett
Contact Position
01803 556256

Where to go


Close to Local Link bus routes 60 & 61, 66 and 67 or Stagecoach 7 and 110

Childcare Information


Immediate vacancies
Please contact provider for vacancy information

Funded Places

3 & 4 year old funding
2 year old funding
3 & 4 year old 30 Hour funding

Opening Times & Facilities

Opening Times
Opening Times
DayOpening TimeClosing Time
Monday 07:30:00 18:00:00
Tuesday 07:30:00 18:00:00
Wednesday 07:30:00 18:00:00
Thursday 07:30:00 18:00:00
Friday 07:30:00 18:00:00
Pet Cats
Pet Dogs
Childminding Group
Climbing Frame
Books & Storytelling
Out-door Play
Both indoor and outdoor activities
Arts & Crafts
Visit & Outings
Baby toys
Water play
Accessible Parking
Music time

School Pickups

Offers pickups
Oldway Primary School
Drop off and pick up from Oldway Primary School from September 2022

Ofsted Information

Ofsted URN
Link to latest ofsted inspection report 
Inspection history
Inspection History
Inspection DateInspection typeInspection Outcome
03/02/2009Inspection (Early Years Register)Good
11/11/2014Inspection (Early Years Register)Good
09/02/2018Inspection (Early Years Register)Requires Improvement
29/11/2018Re-inspection (Early Years Register)Good

Local Offer

Local Offer Age Bands
Primary (4-10 years)
Secondary (11-16 years)
Early Years (0-4 years)

SEN Information

A printable version of this form is available in the downloads section.

What special education provision is available at our setting?

I do attended regular training/ support e.g. Thrive, ECAT, Supporting Children with Stammer, Language Development level 2, Understanding Autism Awareness, Children Schematic Learning, Makaton Foundation Stage, Let’s Talk Together, SEN with Children and continue going on SENCO and Designated Persons Forums, EYCAS forum/


What criteria must be satisfied before children and young people can access this provision/service?

All children are welcome to my practice, and I will establish the child’s needs and access information, resources and training and work in partnership with parents and agencies. I am an Inclusive Provider and will consider placements for any child 0-12 years who’s parents/carers wish them to access my provision, following the guidance as laid out in the Qualities Act 2010.

Please contact me to check of availability of space in my setting.

How do we identify the particular special educational needs of a child or young person?

When you come and visit for the first time and see the setting, I will gather information of your child and arrange transition process of settling in programme to suit your needs. I will follow the SEND Code of Practice 2014, and continually assess and observe your child’s progress using learning diaries and asking parents to read and sign them. This also assess where the child’s developmentally is and gain help and advice if needed from other agencies.

How do we consult with parents and/or children and young people about their needs?

I will make sure I have all the information from parents written down by discussing the child’s needs and best support for the child. To be given. Written daily dairy as well as verbal daily exchange to parents and termly newsletters. I can also liaise with other professionals if the child is being supported by any. I will also ask for continues feedback from parents to make sure I am meeting the family needs.

What is our approach to teaching children and young people with special educational needs?

I have an Equal Opportunities Policy and Procedure you can view. All children are treated equal, making sure appropriate resources are met with the children needs and abilities. Given opportunity to experience activities to provide stimulation, fun and creative learning to stage development.

  • If you would work with other professionals and follow their advice in creating an Individual Learning & Development Plan (ILDP) for children with any additional needs; this would identify specific activities and learning / development objectives. The ILDP is developed with input from everyone involved with child,
    • Parent(s)/Carer(s)
    • The SENCo and Key Worker
    • Specialist / Support Agencies
    • Early Years Advisors

How can we adapt our curriculum for children and young people with special educational needs?

Every child is treated as an individual, taking into account age, abilities, needs and their interest. To have opportunity to experience stimulation, fun and creative activities to develop new skills with gaining confidence and self-awareness within the Early Years Foundation Stage being adapted to every child needs.

How will we ensure we get the services, provision and equipment that children and young people need?

  • I would call on the support of Torbay’s Early Years Advisory Teacher and other professionals throughout Torbay for expert guidance and specialist equipment.
  • That there may be times when you may not always have the resources and facilities to meet the specific needs of an individual child. Where this occurs, although you will make every reasonable effort to do so, there may be occasions when it is not possible and you cannot meet the child’s needs.

How is this provision funded?

  • As an Ofsted Registered Childminder I am self employed, running my own childcare business.
  • I am registered to accept National Education Grant (NEG) Funding for 2-5yr olds which is paid via the Local Authority; which entitles parents to 15 funded hours of childcare a week

If it is identified that extra additional support is required beyond what you can provide as part of your normal ratios, then you can apply to the Local Authority for additional funding, for example if the child needs 1:1 support.

What additional learning support is available for children and young people with special educational needs and how do they access it?

  • That if additional learning support was needed you would look for support from other professionals such as;
    • Speech & Language Specialists
    • Health Visitors & Social Workers
    • Action for Children
    • Support Groups for families
    • Early Years Advisory Support
    • Portage

and you will signpost, encourage and support parent(s)/carer(s) to engage with these services.

How do we support and improve the emotional and social development of children and young people with special educational needs?

I have attended Thrive training and have put into practice that the child needs to feel belonged, valued and nurtured through Personal, Social and emotional Development.

  • As an inclusive practitioner  I believe that:
    • Every child needs to feel that they belong, that they matter, and that they are valued for their unique qualities.
    • Working in partnership with parents is an important and that parental contributions are welcomed and valued. .

I have attended “Promoting Positive Behaviour” course and have a Behaviour Management Policy in relation to child’s age level and stage of development.

How do we support children and young people with special educational needs moving between phases of education and preparing for adulthood?

  • My Transition procedure and how I implement it within my setting. These transitions may be;
    • Starting at Pre-school
    • Moving Settings
    • Starting Primary School
  • How I work in partnership with others to promote a smooth transition for example;
    • Providing details on ILDPs and links to other stakeholders and agencies
    • Facilitating visits to the new school / setting supported by familiar staff
    • Liaising with the SENCos from the school / setting to promote a consistent approach
    • Enabling future teachers to visit the child in your setting.

I would support the parent(s)/carer(s), through this process of change and fill out a document “Transition”.

What other support is available for children and young people with special educational needs and how can they access it?

Any latest information I receive or read I will pass onto parents, and I also have a parents folder with lots of information and leaflets. I advice parents where to find out information or also go to Torbay Directory for support and advice.

What extra-curricular activities are available for children and young people with special educational needs?

I work Monday to Friday 7.30am to 6.00 pm, I take the children out on trips (depending on weather) or do crafts, baking, painting, reading, play-dough etc at home. I also get regular emails of activities to do with Play Torbay, whom offer funded play with staff support for children with additional needs.

How do we assess and review progress towards agreed outcomes, and how are parents, children and young people involved in this process?

I regular put entries in the children’s learning diary to see the developmental progress of the child and to share this with parents to read and comment on.

  • If the child has an Individual Learning & Development Plan (ILDP), which identifies specific activities and learning / development objectives, how often these would be reviewed and who would be involved in this process e.g.
    • Parent(s)/Carer(s)
    • Specialist / Support Agencies
    • Early Years Advisors

How do we assess the effectiveness of our special needs provision and how are parents, children and young people involved in this assessment?

I am doing the Bristol Standards Quality Assurance scheme on reflecting on my service and ways to improve for the best interest for the service I give the children. I ask parents for feedback, suggestions and questionnaire 5to review on what improvements I can make. I regular go to forums to keep up-to-date with the latest legislation and I also purchase into local authority Advanced Support Package. I also go to childminder’s support group to share good practice and for children to meet other children.

How do we ensure that teaching staff and other staff have the expertise needed to support children and young people with special educational needs?

I regular attend SENCO and Vulnerable Children Forums, and keep up-to-date with training for the needs of the children. I regular review my practice by doing the Bristol Standards Quality Assurance scheme and I will attend any training that may be need specific for the child’s needs to be met.  I have no problems with giving injections to children.

How do we keep parents informed where children and young people have special educational provision but do not have an Education Health and Care Plan?

Every child has a learning diary about the child’s progress and development, and I also verbally share information with parents daily at handovers. If I have any concerns about your child I would discuss this further with the parents, to solve the concern.

How can parents, children and young people make a complaint about our provision?

If you do have any concerns, I hope you can approach me directly so we can resolve the problem quickly and amicably. I have a complaint policy and procedure for parents to read if needed, and I have an Ofsted poster hanging with telephone number.

How can parents, children and young people get more information about the setting?

Parents can phone or email or text me to find out information of my service I give and are welcome to visit to see my practice for prospective parents. My advert is also on FIS website (Family Information Service) and Ofsted website4 for Inspection Reports.

For more information, you can contact me on 01803 556256, or 07751013554 or