Skip to main content

Carolyne Lane (Torquay)

Purpose built play room, small but well equipped garden area used to plant and maintain a variety of edible plants.  House backs on to a large field which is used for the children to play football etc.  Frequent trips to local areas of interest and further afield such as Crealy and Woodlands. Currently working towards the 2nd Interim of Bristol Standard quality assurance scheme. Offers a Babysitting service. 

Who to contact

01803 320798

Where to go


Close to number 30/31 bus route

Other Details


Table of costs
Table of costs
AmountCost Type
£4.00 per hour
£20.00 per session
£40.00 per day
Unsociable hours premium


Age Ranges
From 0 years 3 months to 12 years
Age Ranges
From 0 years 3 months to 12 years

Inclusion Information

Wheelchair Access

Has Provision

Special Needs

Has Provision
Experience with
Emotional needs
Hearing Difficulties
Autistic Spectrum Disorder ASD
Language impairment
Challenging Behaviour
Learning difficulties
Medical Needs
Could cater for children with additional needs if correct training available.

Dietary Needs

Has Provision

Cultural Provisions

Has Provision

Childcare Information


Immediate vacancies
Currently No Vacancies
Date updated

Funded Places

3 & 4 year old funding
2 year old funding
3 & 4 year old 30 Hour funding

Opening Times & Facilities

Opening Times
Opening Times
DayOpening TimeClosing Time
Monday 07.00 18.00
Tuesday 07.00 18.00
Wednesday 07.00 18.00
Thursday 07.00 18.00
Friday 07.00 18.00
Arts & Crafts
Visit & Outings
Sleeping Area
Out-door Play
Both indoor and outdoor activities
Music Room
Quiet Room

School Pickups

Offers pickups
Ilsham C of E Academy
Before School drop off to Ilsham Primary. After School collection Ilsham Primary. Also offers pick up from St Mathias Pre-School.

Ofsted Information

Ofsted URN
Link to latest ofsted inspection report 
Inspection history
Inspection History
Inspection DateInspection typeInspection Outcome
07/02/2011Inspection (Early Years Register)Outstanding
06/01/2016Inspection (Early Years Register)Outstanding
13/04/2022Inspection (Early Years Register)Good

Local Offer

Local Offer Age Bands
Primary (4-10 years)
Early Years (0-4 years)

SEN Information

A printable version of this form is available in the downloads section.

What special education provision is available at our setting?

I have attended extensive training over the last few years;

  • Thrive, ECAT, Makaton, Level 1 & 2 Language Development, to name but a few.
  • I have recently submitted my Second Interim for The Bristol Standard.
  • I am currently enrolled in an ‘Enhanced Training Package’ with my Local Authority, which enables me access to ‘specific’ training for my practice and the needs of the children I care for.
  • I also attend the termly SENCO Forums which are provided by my Local Authority and from which I access expert information and support from the professional team who run them.

I ‘actively’ implement the knowledge I gain from this training and my setting is testament to this. We have numerous Makaton signs and pictures displayed, both on the resource baskets and on the walls, doors and other surfaces. The Thrive approach is an integral part of my practice with the children and an invaluable asset.

I haven’t had a huge amount of experience with supporting special or additional needs, but I have access to a range of agencies and support services if I should need them, due to the SENCO Forums.

What criteria must be satisfied before children and young people can access this provision/service?

  • I am an Inclusive Provider and will consider placements for any child aged 0- 12yrs whose parent(s)/carer(s) wish them to access my provision.
  • I follow the guidance as laid out in the Equalities Act 2010.
  • All children are welcome to my setting regardless of any special education needs.
  • I will discuss with the parent(s)/carer(s) the needs of their child and how I can meet their needs by working in partnership with any other parties/agencies as required.
  • Having established the child’s needs, I will access training and/or resources to make every reasonable effort to enable the child to access my provision.

How do we identify the particular special educational needs of a child or young person?

  • I will follow the guidance set out in the SEND Code of Practice 2001 (to be revised in 2014).
  • I will gather relevant information from parents/carers/ previous settings/ professional agencies already involved in the child’s life, before the child starts.
  • Once a child is with me, they will be continually assessed / observed and their progress recorded. Through this and dialogue with parent(s)/carer(s), any concerns are identified from which I will, with consent, initiate appropriate interventions and/or approach other specialists and agencies for support to establish how best I can support the child.

How do we consult with parents and/or children and young people about their needs?

  • Invite families to look around the setting.
  • Discuss transition processes which will help to settle the child and family in to my setting.
  • Through the ‘Pre Registration’ documentation I use to gather important information about the child’s needs.
  • Through the discussions I will have about the child’s needs and how they can be best supported. If the child is already being supported by other professionals, I will arrange a meeting with them to ensure good continuity of care.
  • I regularly share information with parents/carer’s through; daily diary, verbal exchange, learning diary.
  • I provide opportunities for parents/carer’s to join me for ‘meetings’ to discuss their child’s development, which includes a feedback sheet, for them to complete, about how they feel I am meeting their and their child’s needs.

What is our approach to teaching children and young people with special educational needs?

  • I have, and ‘actively’ implement, an Equal Opportunities/Inclusion Policy and Procedure.
  • All children are treated equally and I am committed to provide a fully inclusive setting for everyone who wishes to use it.
  • I recognise and value the role of all those involved with the children in my care.
  • Where special educational needs have been identified, I will ensure that I provide appropriate resources to meet those needs.
  • I welcome any positive input from outside agencies and will follow their advice in creating an Individual Learning & Development Plan (ILDP) for children with any additional needs; this would identify specific activities and learning / development objectives. The ILDP is developed with input from everyone involved with the child,
    • Parent(s)/Carer(s)
    • The SENCo and Key Worker
    • Specialist / Support Agencies
    • Early Years Advisors

How can we adapt our curriculum for children and young people with special educational needs?

  • All activities can be adapted to enable any child to participate. By making ‘reasonable’ adjustments to the physical environment or simply adding a special tool or piece of equipment.
  • I would seek advice from relevant professionals to enable me to follow the child’s ILDP and to help me to differentiate and adapt the EYFS curriculum for a child with special educational needs.

How will we ensure we get the services, provision and equipment that children and young people need?

  • I can call on the support of Torbay’s Early Years Advisory Teacher and other professionals throughout Torbay for expert guidance and specialist equipment.
  • That there may be times when I may not always have the resources and facilities to meet the specific needs of an individual child. Where this occurs, although I will make every reasonable effort to do so, there may be occasions when it is not possible and I cannot meet the child’s needs.

How is this provision funded?

  • As an Ofsted Registered Childminder, I am self employed, running my own childcare business.
  • I am registered to accept National Education Grant (NEG) Funding for 2-5yr olds which is paid via the Local Authority; which entitles parents to 15 funded hours of childcare a week.
  • If it is identified that extra additional support is required beyond what I can provide as part of my normal ratios, then I can apply to the Local Authority for additional funding, for example if the child needs 1:1 support.

What additional learning support is available for children and young people with special educational needs and how do they access it?

  • If additional learning support was needed, I would look for support from other professionals such as;
    • Speech & Language Specialists
    • Health Visitors & Social Workers
    • Action for Children
    • Support Groups for families
    • Early Years Advisory Support
    • Portage
  • I will signpost, encourage and support parent(s)/carer(s) to engage with these services.

How do we support and improve the emotional and social development of children and young people with special educational needs?

  • Through my Thrive training.
  • As an inclusive practitioner I believe that:
    • Every child needs to feel that they belong, that they matter, and that they are valued for their unique qualities.
    • Working in partnership with parents is important. I welcome and value parental contributions.
    • I implement a ‘positive’ approach to Behaviour Management.

How do we support children and young people with special educational needs moving between phases of education and preparing for adulthood?

  • My Transition procedure includes encouraging all children to develop their skills in the three main ‘primary’ areas. These provide the basis for confidence to ‘move on’ and fulfil other areas of their development; These transitions may be;
    • Starting at Pre-school
    • Moving Settings
    • Starting Primary School
  • I work in partnership with others, to promote a smooth transition for all children in my care, and if needed, I would;
    • Provide details on ILDPs and links to other stakeholders and agencies
    • Facilitate visits to the new school / setting.
    • Liaise with the SENCos from the school / setting to promote a consistent approach
    • Enable future teachers to visit the child in my setting.
  • I would support the parent(s)/carer(s), through this process of change, by ensuring they are aware that I am ‘there for them’, if need be. Provide them relevant literature etc.
  • I complete a ‘transition document’ for the child to take with them as a ‘reference’ for the new teacher/carer.

What other support is available for children and young people with special educational needs and how can they access it?

  • I will signpost, encourage and support parent(s)/carer(s) to engage with other support by;
    • Providing leaflets
    • Promoting Events and Services
    • Recommending the Torbay Directory for ideas on available support and services.

What extra-curricular activities are available for children and young people with special educational needs?

I can link with Play Torbay, who offer funded play with staff and support for children with additional needs.

How do we assess and review progress towards agreed outcomes, and how are parents, children and young people involved in this process?

  • Sharing developmental progress with parents through daily/learning diaries. They are shared with parents in various ways; verbally, parents ‘evening’, lending diaries.
  • If the child has an Individual Learning & Development Plan (ILDP), which identifies specific activities and learning / development objectives, they would be reviewed, as they would have been agreed, by the relevant people involved;
    • Parent(s)/Carer(s)
    • Specialist / Support Agencies
    • Early Years Advisors

How do we assess the effectiveness of our special needs provision and how are parents, children and young people involved in this assessment?

  • I am undertaking the Bristol Standard and therefore am continually assessing my own professional developmental needs.
  • I use the feedback sheets, provided at the parent’s evenings, to gather feedback and help me decide how do use the evidence to improve upon what I offer.
  • I keep up to date with changes, research and new developments by attending the Forums and training which I access as part of my ’support Package’.
  • I link up with other childminders for day trips, support groups and social meetings in each other’s settings, where we can share good practice.

How do we ensure that teaching staff and other staff have the expertise needed to support children and young people with special educational needs?

  • Through training which I have attended, especially the SENCO and Vulnerable Children Forums.
  • Through continuing with Bristol Standards

How do we keep parents informed where children and young people have special educational provision but do not have an Education Health and Care Plan?

  • Through daily diaries, verbal exchange, learning diaries, My Learning and Development document
  • The observation documents highlight areas where the child may not be developing as well as they might be and enables me to raise a concern with them at the earliest opportunity so we can work together to put actions in place to give extra support to the child in that area.

How can parents, children and young people make a complaint about our provision?

  • I always seek to resolve any issues before they get to stage of a complaint being raised and encourage parents to discuss any concerns that they may have.
  • My Complaints Policy and Procedure.
  • My Ofsted Parent poster with Ofsted’s telephone number

How can parents, children and young people get more information about the setting?

  • Contact directly via phone or email.
  • My advert on the Family Information Service (FIS) website
  • I welcome visits from prospective parents.
  • OFSTED Website – Inspection Report Reports