Skip to main content

Claire Burns (Paignton)

Care is based around the child's happiness in a fun environment. Meets up daily with at least 2 other POSY (Providing Outdoor Stimulation for Youngsters) childminders. Does not provide school pickups as out all day on trips to Crealy, Pennywell Farm, Powderham, Plymouth Aquarium and more, all inclusive in the price. May be able to provide a pick up and drop off to the child's home address.

Qualifications and training: All relevant childcare qualifications are kept up to date. BTEC National Nursery Nurse.

Who to contact

01803 844283
07748 494073

Where to go


Close to number 12 and 12 A bus route

Other Details


Age Ranges
From 0 years 0 months to 10 years

Inclusion Information

Wheelchair Access

Has Provision

Special Needs

Has Provision
Experience with
Loss or Bereavement
Experience of children with ADHD. Training is kept up to date.

Childcare Information


Immediate vacancies
No current vacancies

Funded Places

2 year old funding
3 & 4 year old 30 Hour funding

Opening Times & Facilities

Opening Times
Opening Times
DayOpening TimeClosing Time
Monday 07.30 18.30
Tuesday 07.30 18.30
Wednesday 07.30 18.30
Thursday 07.30 18.30

School Pickups

Offers pickups
Does not offer school drop offs or pick ups. Can provide a pick up and drop off from the child's home address.

Ofsted Information

Ofsted URN
Link to latest ofsted inspection report 
Inspection history
Inspection History
Inspection DateInspection typeInspection Outcome
25/01/2011Inspection (Early Years Register)Outstanding
02/02/2016Inspection (Early Years Register)Good
15/03/2022Inspection (Early Years Register)Outstanding

Local Offer

Local Offer Age Bands
Primary (4-10 years)
Early Years (0-4 years)

SEN Information

A printable version of this form is available in the downloads section.

What special education provision is available at our setting?

I have 1st aid training. I currently look after a child with special needs and have worked with his parents and portage worker to maintain his care.

What criteria must be satisfied before children and young people can access this provision/service?

All children are welcome, I do have wheel chair access but the toilet is up stairs. I will access training and resources to support the child. I do have a waiting list.

How do we identify the particular special educational needs of a child or young person?

I shall meet with the child’s parents and health workers. I will follow guidance as set out in the SEND code of practice 2001. Continued assessment and observations will be maintained. Though continued observations if any concerns arise I shall endeavour to support the child and parents.

How do we consult with parents and/or children and young people about their needs?

Parents and carers are welcomed in to my home and can assess whether it is suitable. The child will be offered a free settling in period; parents are requested to write down the child’s routine, likes/dislikes. A daily record & diary is sent home with the child. Regular meetings with the parents and carers to ensure the child is happy occur. Cards/ photos are used as a communication tool with the child.

What is our approach to teaching children and young people with special educational needs?

Children are all treated equally. Equal opportunities/inclusion policy is given to parents when the child starts at my setting. I would work with professionals and follow their advice with regard to individual learning.

How can we adapt our curriculum for children and young people with special educational needs?

I would follow the child’s Individual Learning Development Plan and adapt it for children with special needs. I take the children on outings which would include Cockington park, Torquay, and Kings Park Exeter which have special needs swings etc.

How will we ensure we get the services, provision and equipment that children and young people need?

It may not always be possible but I shall endeavour to seek support from Torbay Early Years and other services in Torbay.

How is this provision funded?

I am a Self Employed childminder. I am registered to provide the N E Grant & Special Needs funding for children.

What additional learning support is available for children and young people with special educational needs and how do they access it?

Portage, Early Years Advisory Support, Support Groups for families, Speech & Language specialists, Health visitors, my colleagues.

How do we support and improve the emotional and social development of children and young people with special educational needs?

All the children are treated and loved equally regardless of their ability. Parental contribution is vital.

How do we support children and young people with special educational needs moving between phases of education and preparing for adulthood?

I will complete a transition document for the next provider. I shall provide all documentation relating to the child to the next professional. I will communicate with the next setting.

What other support is available for children and young people with special educational needs and how can they access it?

I shall promote any services and recommend Torbay Directory for ideas on support and services.

What extra-curricular activities are available for children and young people with special educational needs?

I can offer additional hours if required by parents. I offer a variety of daily outings which include: Powderham Castle, Bicton, Crealy, Plymouth Aquarium, Steam Trains, The Zoo, Living Coasts, Brixham, Exeter & Torquay Museums, Parks, Library Singing Sessions (etc)

How do we assess and review progress towards agreed outcomes, and how are parents, children and young people involved in this process?

Progress is reviewed with parents daily through the diary and also verbal communication and goals reached on the child’s IDLP

How do we assess the effectiveness of our special needs provision and how are parents, children and young people involved in this assessment?

Training and gathering feedback, I work very closely with 3 other 'outstanding' childminders. I inform parents to please let me know if they think I can improve my service.

How do we ensure that teaching staff and other staff have the expertise needed to support children and young people with special educational needs?

My first aid is up to date.

How do we keep parents informed where children and young people have special educational provision but do not have an Education Health and Care Plan?

Daily diaries, Learning diaries and communicating with parents. Concerns would be discussed with parents if I thought the child was under achieving.

How can parents, children and young people make a complaint about our provision?

The Ofsted poster is displayed with details of how to complain, also parents are given details of this when the child starts at the setting (included in the pages of policies).