Educational settings are required to publish information about what they offer to children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) from September 2014. This information can be found within each school’s record in the Local Offer and as a download with the pages download section. You can jump straight to a school's SEN information by clicking the 'local offer' green triangle on a school's record when looking at all school records for a particular type of school in the search category on the right hand side of this page. School's are also required to publish thier SEN information on their own school's website.
Children make progress at different rates and have different ways in which they learn best. Teachers take account of this in the way they organise their lessons and teach. Children making slower progress or having particular difficulties in one area may be given extra help or different lessons to help them succeed.
You should not assume that, because your child is making slower progress than you expected or the teachers are providing different support, help or activities in class, that your child has special educational needs.
The Council has a Strategic Policy for Inclusion which works to promote inclusion, reduce disadvantage and support potential learners into learning experiences. Torbay’s key principles of inclusion includes reducing the number of pupils with Special Educational Needs in special schools and ensuring that the number in mainstream school rises.
Each school should publish the following documents and links on thier own school's website:
- SEND Policy
- SEN Information Report
- School Access Plan / Disability Equality Scheme or similar that conforms with Torbay's Accessibility Strategy
- Managing Medicines Policy that conforms with national guidance on Statutory guidance on supporting pupils at school with medical conditions
- Exclusion Policy that conforms to national guidance on Exclusion for maintained schools, academies and pupil referral units
- Link to the Torbay Local Offer
- Link to SENDIASS Torbay
The Torbay Local Authority will always seek to place SEN pupils in mainstream schools providing that:
- The school is suitable for the child’s age, ability and aptitude and the special educational needs
- The child’s attendance is not incompatible with the efficient education of other children in the school, and
- The placement is an efficient use of the LA’s resources.
For further information:
If you would like independent information, advice and support, contact SENDIASS Torbay on 01803 208239.
If your child does not have an EHC plan, contact our school admissions team on 01803 208908.
If your child has an EHC plan, contact our SEN team on 01803 208274.
The Local Authority has a duty to produce an Accessibility Strategy which should outline how the LA intends to improve disabled access to those schools for which it is responsible and increase the extent to which disabled pupils are able to take advantage of education and the associated services provided by those schools. The Accessibility Strategy can be found in the Downloads section on the right hand side of this webpage.